Price Retires After Five Years of Cambridge Service

N/A

Assistant Principal Amy Price

After 30 years of working in education and spending five years at Cambridge, Assistant Principal Amy Price retired earlier this month.

“I retired when I did because I reached 30 years with the district. In my position as an assistant principal, I work year-round, so the end of November to the beginning of December is somewhat of a slow period, so it made sense,” Price said in an email.

Price started her career at Palmetto High School, which eventually merged with another school to become Creekside High School in Fairburn. She also worked at Roswell High School alongside Principal Edward Spurka.

“I have worked with Dr. Spurka for about 16 years, and I have so much respect for him as a leader, educator and friend,” Price said.

Spurka said many people here did not realize how much Price really did for the school, especially during the opening. She was on the committee responsible for picking the school colors, naming the school and even picking out the furniture that went into the front office, he said.  

While working as the assistant principal, she was also responsible for creating the master schedule, balancing class sizes and managing the curriculum.

“I miss her already. I miss the spirit she brought to the school,” said Spurka. “When someone leaves, the flag still goes up, the grass still gets cut, the buses still roll out every day, but it’s just a little bit different.”

For Price, the hardest part of leaving the school was having to say goodbye to the students.

Most of all, I will really, really miss the students! They make me laugh every day. Even dealing with discipline gave me opportunities to have meaningful talks with students,” Price said.

As for what she plans to do now that she is retired, she said she hopes to continue working in education in some capacity, but only in a part-time position.

“I’m not ready to leave education completely. While it is nice to sleep late, spend quality time with my 82-year-old mother and do daily chores with my retired husband, I have certainly left a piece of my heart at Cambridge,” Price said.