Students Voice Their Opinion About the Return of Homecoming Court

Students+share+their+thoughts+concerning+the+return+of+homecoming+court.+

Graphic by Maria Lemos

Students share their thoughts concerning the return of homecoming court.

Lauren Fletcher, Staff Writer

Homecoming court is a high school tradition that may be coming to an end as it plows into today’s ever-changing societal standards.  

Last year’s absence of this tradition resulted in a flood of complaints from parents and students.   

To avoid this outcry from occurring again, Principal Ashley Agans made the decision to bring back homecoming court.  

“It was just too much to have homecoming court last year,” said Agans.  

The previous homecoming took place right after a rise in COVID-19 cases which Agans didn’t think was the best time for the dance’s nominations.  

“This year, homecoming court was the right choice,” said Agans.  

However, it appears that not much can be done to satisfy the constant changing opinions of the student population.  

Many students believe homecoming court nominations rely on how high a student’s social status is.  

“I think that homecoming court is a little bit of a popularity contest,” said freshman Georgia Davis.  

Although students can consider the nomination process a “popularity contest”, others suggest this competition can’t be avoided.  

Sophomore Alexis Ferrall said almost everything in high school is a popularity contest which students just cannot avoid.  

“We get to put in nominations for whoever we want, which makes it fair,” she said.  

The dance’s court also raises concerns about promoting discrimination against those who identify as gender-neutral.  

“It’s really not for people who don’t identify as a gender or don’t go with a hetero-normal relationship,” said Davis.  

Some are concerned that putting labels on a king and queen single out students who do not define themselves as male or female.  

As a solution, junior Ava Galins believes that schools can keep homecoming court, but make it inclusive regardless of gender. 

“If you don’t associate with male or female [labels], you can have the choice to run for either king or queen if you wish,” she said. 

In spite of nominations introducing certain issues, some students are happy it’s back.  

“I like homecoming court because it builds school spirit,” said freshman Peyton Truncale.  

Agans said she hopes homecoming this year will be a way to keep the “bear” spirit alive.  

“As long as it’s positive and the kids are happy, I’ll do it all day long.”