Bears Beat Centennial Knights

Matthew Ridenour, Staff Writer

When they traveled to Centennial earlier this month, the Bears beat the Knights 37-0.

Centennial started with the ball and was shut down by the defense. The Bears first offensive drive started well after a couple of first downs and a fourth-down conversion.

On the next throw, the Bears lost the ball after a deflection by the Centennial defense, which was intercepted, but the Bears forced a fumble on the 10-yard line and ended up with the ball.

Junior quarterback Zach Harris threw to sophomore wide receiver Ian Chaffin, who gave the Bears a 7-0 lead with two minutes and 14 seconds left in the first quarter.

The Bears kicked the ball to the Knights. After the Knights moved it up the field, the Bears called a timeout, and after the break, the ball was intercepted by senior cornerback Ryan Counts, who took it to the endzone to extend the Bears’ lead to 14-0.

On the next possession, the Knights were stopped by the tough Bears’ defense and forced to punt. After a six-minute drive by the Bears, sophomore running back Christian Isibor ran into the endzone to extend the lead to 21-0 with six minutes and 39 seconds left in the second quarter.

On the next Knights’ drive, after the Centennial quarterback fumbled the ball, it was recovered by outside linebacker junior Bennett Long, and then there was a touchdown by senior running back Phillip Michael Collins to extend the lead to 28-0, which was the last score before half time.

At the start of the third quarter, the Bears got the ball but punted it to the Knights. The defense came out on the field and forced another punt by the Knights, but after Chaffin fumbled the recovery, the Knights recovered the ball.

The Bears’ strong defense stopped Centennial after the Knights failed to convert on fourth down. On the next drive for the Bears, Collins took it to the house for another Bears touchdown to extend the lead to 35-0 still in the third.

At the start of the fourth quarter, the Knights stopped the Bears from scoring, but after the Knights got the ball on the 5-yard line they were tackled in the end zone, and the Bears caused a safety, which extended the score to 37-0.

On the last drive of the game, the Bears took their time getting down the field. With the running clock at the 5-yard line, the Bears’ freshman quarterback Preston Clemmer took a knee, and this gave the Bears their second win of the season.

The Bears will travel to Sequoyah High School Monday to face the Chiefs, who are 0-4 for the season.

The Bears will be looking to keep up their play from the Centennial game and earn another win while the Chiefs will be looking for their first victory of the season.