New Year, New Me? How New Year’s Resolutions Hold Up

Anthony Zehnder

A calendar showing a New Year’s resolution, with goals such as going to the gym regularly.

Anthony Zehnder, Staff Writer

At 3:15 p.m., sophomore Matthew Zgourovski inserted a dollar bill into the food vending machine next to the world language hall. He then proceeded to select the number for the Welch’s fruit snacks.

This was the daily routine for Zgrouovski in 2019.

However, in 2020, he has decided to stop spending money on vending machines.

“I spent, like, $5 a day on machines last year,” said Zgrouovski.

He is working two jobs to try and save up for a new car, but the vending machines were one of his greatest obstacles towards reaching that goal.

However, Zgrouovski, like most, has felt the struggle of keeping up his New Year’s resolution and the desire to just get one Welch’s fruit snacks.

He feels the school lunch he eats during third period is not enough, but he hasn’t bought anything from the vending machines yet.

It is these struggles that Zgrouovski, like many, encounter around the beginning of February. But have the other students and teachers at Cambridge also held firm in their resolutions?

Math teacher Anu Krishna says New Year’s resolutions are a way to “reset life.”

This year Krishna will try to implement more strategies to teach her class, such as more student-specific teaching.

However, she also believes that it is not horrible if New Year’s resolutions are broken. Krishna believes New Year’s resolutions are a good way to experiment with goals and try new things, but shouldn’t be taken too harshly.

So far, Krishna is only focusing on a few students in one of her classes. She said she has been successful and is happy with the progress those students are making.

“However, it’s exhausting,” said Krishna.

Senior Peter Ikya said his goal this year is to work harder in school.

“My cumulative GPA is a 3.4, but last semester, I had a 3.8 GPA,” said Ikya.

His goal is to get all A’s this semester.

While resolutions for most are just small changes, some decide to completely change their lifestyle.

Senior Jaiden Stidston is focused on plastic and single-use containers. In 2020 she wants to get as close to “zero waste” as possible. She has been researching the topic for a few months now and has decided to give it a go.

“Plastic never really goes away,” said Stidston. It takes a very long time for plastic to decompose into microplastics, way longer than most other materials.

However, going “zero waste” is a gradual process.

For example, she will use products she bought before going “zero waste” until they are out. These kinds of products include shampoo, soap, toothpaste and make-up.

Stidston said most of her products that are currently not “zero waste” are running out, such as shampoo and soap bottles, so she is looking for “zero waste” recipes and products to replace them.

The goal is not to go completely “zero waste,” but rather to be more aware of the waste being made and trying to reduce that as much as possible.

Stidston also added that it isn’t that hard to find “zero waste” products.

“There are so many zero waste websites,” said Stidston.

Stidston said one can simply search for “zero waste” anything and find websites with tons of “zero waste” products.