Filed under News, Showcase, Top Story

A Closer Look into the New Student IDs with Lanyards.

The new safety measure has sprung a few questions from students.

English+teacher+Jon+Karschnik+distributes+new+student+IDs+with+lanyards+to+his+students+during+one+of+his+classes.+++++
English teacher Jon Karschnik distributes new student IDs with lanyards to his students during one of his classes.

Brian McDearmon

Brian McDearmon

On Thursday and Friday, new student IDs with lanyards were distributed to students in their English classes.

These new student IDs are part of the school’s safety and security plan that was set into motion at the beginning of the school year to better ensure a safer learning environment for all in the building.

Now that the IDs have been passed out and are about to become a part of students’ daily routine, a variety of questions have begun to arise about the IDs from students.

One of the most asked questions has been on the possible consequences for not wearing the student IDs.

Administrative Assistant Peter Vajda said non-ID wearing students won’t be faced with any consequences for at least the first couple of weeks. Later in the semester, however, students with multiple infractions for not wearing them will be given a detention.

While students will not be required to wear their IDs in classrooms, Vajda said he advises students to wear the student IDs anyway in order to maintain order. He doesn’t want students to forget about wearing them while re-entering the hallways.   

Another question on the minds of students about the IDs has been their use as hall passes.

Similarly to the IDs from last year, students will use them as a hall pass by taking them out of the case and getting them signed by a teacher, according to Vajda.

New students are also the only ones who will be exempted from wearing the student IDs with lanyards.

Students who did not receive their IDs on Thursday and Friday will be called up to the front office at a later date to retrieve them.

For the meanwhile, these students are expected to have their old IDs on them at all times within school perimeters.  

Students have so far had mixed reactions to this new safety measure.

Senior Marykate Bohr said she believes the new student IDs are a bit extra and are not as needed as they once were.

“I think that is going to be really hard to enforce this rule when we are already halfway through the semester,” said Bohor.

Andrea Banys, a senior who has been at the school for all four years, welcomes the new student IDs with lanyards as a much-needed change to the school.

“It is an easy way to keep us safe and easier than other potential safety things,” said Banys.

While he knows it will be a major adjustment for students to get used to, Vajda said it’s up to teachers and staff to convince students on the vitality of these new student IDs with lanyards.

“We just need to catch them up first and then they’ll embrace it,” said Vajda.

About the Writers
Anna Kerber, Reporter

Kerber is a junior and a first-year reporter. She is part of the swim team and enjoys to read. An interesting fact about Kerber is that she was selected to be part of the Georgia Department of Human Services’ Youth Empowerment Series in 2018. Kerber is excited to join The Bear Witness this school year!

Grace Kish, Reporter

Kish is a senior and a second-year reporter. She loves covering anything that has to do with sports and is very vocal about school spirit. Outside of The Bear Witness, she’s a member of the Varsity Cheer Squad. Kish is ready to write some great articles this school year for The Bear Witness!