While You’re Snoring, They’re Sweating

December 13, 2016

The+phrase+of+the+early+bird+gets+the+worm+may+actually+be+true+for+these+student-athletes.+++++

Suha Ibrahim

The phrase of “the early bird gets the worm” may actually be true for these student-athletes.

The sun was just rising in the cotton candy sky, as the girls picked up their basketballs and pounded them on the court, letting the noise echo through the dimly-lit hallway.

One of the players hustled to the closest hoop and set the ball down. She tightened her ponytail and took a step behind the foul line.

She picked the ball back up and faced the goal with the ball resting on her fingertips. She jumped up and flicked her wrist, releasing the ball.

Right as it swished through the net, the buzzer went off, signaling the time to leave the gym and get ready for the school day.

While most students’ school days start at 8:20 A.M., some student-athletes are at school working up a sweat as early as 6:00 A.M.

“It’s weird walking in the hallway and seeing no one but other teams,” said freshman cross-country runner Ethan Danciak.

Several athletes said they preferred practicing in the morning rather than in the afternoon because early training sessions are shorter and faster.

“Even though time is limited, I feel like the time is more productive,” said sophomore basketball player Audrey Smith.

Many cross country and track runners said they choose to train in the mornings due to the temperature.

“I prefer morning practice over afternoon because I like the feeling of cool air when I’m running,” said Danciak.

Smith said morning practice gives players more time in the afternoons for schoolwork and social time.

“I’m more awake through the school day and have more time for myself after school,” said Smith.

However, other athletes feel differently.

They say they dread morning practice because they have to wake up earlier than usual and feel more worn out throughout the day.

“Waking up feels like death rolling out of bed, and showering in the locker room is even worse, ” said sophomore Kenney Rosenbloom.

Some underclassmen find morning practice as a burden on their parents.

“I can’t drive yet, so it’s inconvenient for my parents to have to wake up and drive me to school at 6:00 A.M,” said sophomore Amber Brown.

Even though waking up earlier and coming to school can be inconvenient, some athletes say they don’t mind it because they have more time after school.

“It’s rough getting up, but after that I love it,” said freshman Annika Phelps.