A Sense of Community and More: Why Technology Shouldn’t Alter the High School Experience

OPINION: Our second guest column out of three to come.

May 14, 2018

Editor-in-Chief Greer Spradling

Amelia Green, senior class president.

Today’s high school students around the country have the opportunity to attend school via the internet through online classes.

There are seniors who are fully enrolled in online courses and never step foot inside of a school building, juniors who take AP and honors level classes on their laptops, and underclassmen who never have to wake up at the break of dawn for their first period classes.

Online classes may benefit students who work or play competitive sports, but attendance and participation in school-sanctioned events, held before and after school, are dwindling.

Bleachers at pep rallies are abandoned by students who have already been dismissed early from school, and grade levels are losing their bond by the time they walk across the stage at graduation.

While the flexibility of online learning is appealing to many students, the downside is the loss in value of the face-to-face social interactions and experiences of students and teachers.

The flexibility of online classes is helpful, considering the convoluted demands of being a high school student with respect to work, sports, personal commitments, and college applications.

While taking a few online classes may be helpful with scheduling, taking too many of them opens the door to the loss of many valuable experiences high school students need to grow and learn.

Although technology engages all types of learners at various paces, it also means many students skip the high school rite of passage.

I support teachers allowing students to whip out their phones for a game of Kahoot or taking notes on Surfaces, but advances in learning technology via online classes are taking a toll on school spirit and participation.

Speaking of which, Cambridge held its first-ever senior class picnic on May 3.

Seniors were provided a free lunch by BurgerFi while enjoying a sunny day out on the field. They even had the chance to de-stress by jumping in bouncy houses.

As word about the event spread, I overheard many seniors acknowledge the fun nature of the event, but then explain that they would not be attending because they normally leave school before the early picnic dismissal.

(Not even the free food was worth coming back for.)

My concern is that for many students who take multiple online classes, there is a lack of connection or belonging to their class or school, as well as their desire to be a part of the school community, and I think it’s sad.

I may be old-fashioned, but I believe in the value of making the most of the high school experience, and that includes supporting and participating in school-sanctioned events.

Who knows what the future will bring for high school students in terms of technology?

I just hope that students realize the positive value of being a part of the school community, especially one as wonderful as Cambridge.

Amelia Green is the Senior Class President for the 2017-2018 school year.