Opinion and A&E Editor Daniel Jimenez and Aaron Stephens

Are Cambridge’s students using technology to fully prepare for the workforce?

Part 4: The 21st Century Workforce: Preparing for the Future of Jobs

Are Cambridge's students using technology to fully prepare for the workforce?

May 15, 2018

Technology plays a big role in our world today, as it has become a commonplace feature in our everyday offices, businesses, and classrooms.

The use of it in classrooms by students around the country has been a constant force. From checking emails to completing assignments, the online world has become crucial to today’s learning.

All of this has come to beg the question the following question: Are students at Cambridge using technology to fully prepare for college and the workforce?

Thomas Washburn teaches law and justice, which is a course of study under the umbrella of career tech. He and other teachers in the department focus on preparing students for specific career paths after they’ve left school.

Washburn said he believes students’ Microsoft Surfaces get the job done, and can teach students simple skills like checking and writing emails, along with using the Google web-based editing programs such as Google Docs and Google Sheets, Google’s version of Microsoft Excel.

“Google Sheets is a huge time saver for me in preparation for a class,” said Washburn.

The school is currently providing students with Microsoft Surface Pro tablets. Although these tablets seem to be working out for the students as of now, the school is looking to upgrade to touchscreen Dell laptops in about two years.

“I never really liked using the Surfaces,” said freshman Nnamdi Nwajide. “It would be interesting getting new laptops.”

Marketing teacher Pam Masinko’s classes typically use Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. She said she feels it is important to know the workings of all three programs.

Throughout the three-year marketing pathway, students become certified with Microsoft Word and Excel. Excel is a spreadsheet-based program that makes it easier for users to keep track of budgeting and spending.

The marketing classes also use Venngage, Sparkpage, and Canva. These are softwares that help with infographics, storytelling, and graphic design.

Masinko said that technology is definitely changing the game from a marketing perspective, as evident by her recent visit to the Mercedes-Benz stadium.

Masinko took the trip with her third year marketing class and learned about how the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United have completely different clientele than each other. They also learned that with a push of a button, both teams can change all the advertisement screens in the stadium to reflect their individual clientele.

Masinko says she believes technology is enveloping the business world, as well as making students’ lives both easier and more focused.  

Masinko said that a downside of this integrated technology has been the fact that students have become so attached to their phones, which are like compact computers inside of their pockets.

“It’s a lot easier for them to lose focus when they have the technology,” she said.

Masinko often tells her students to use the desktops that are located in her classroom, but students are allowed to use their Surfaces should they feel the need for them.

With the integration of both laptops and desktops into the daily lives of students, a blueprint has been delivered to aid students on the basic layout of computers.

This will assist students in becoming more comfortable and knowledgeable in how the office environment works for years and years to come.