Editor-in-Chief Greer Spradling

Freshman Haley Spradling seen here with tech-based educational sites such as Home Access and Google Classroom. (Staged Photo)

Part 1: A Student’s New “Tech-Typical” School Day

May 9, 2018

For generations, school existed only within the physical building: the classrooms, hallways, auditoriums.

Kids had homework, but for the most part, school disappeared once they stepped outside the confines of the campus.

Nowadays, with the integration of many forms of technology into education, school can seem ever-present. Apps such as Remind 101, Google Classroom and Home Access Center allow kids to stay connected to school at all times.

For many, the constant presence of school can be overwhelming.

“My teachers stress me out enough,” said freshman Claire Thielens. “I don’t need my phone doing it too.”

Senior Delanee Wilson said technology serves as a constant reminder of grades and assignments. While this can keep her on track, it can also lead to stress.

“You never get a break,” said Wilson. “It keeps reminding you of school.”

Some students also acknowledged that the stress they feel is perhaps un-proportional to the amount warranted, especially when it comes to Home Access Center.

“It provides more stress than it should, especially when teachers don’t put in grades,” said junior Darmon Kahvazadeh. “You stress more than is necessary because you think you’re doing worse than you actually are.”

This anxiety is felt by many other students, as well.

For senior Alex Seymour, a lot of that stress stems from the constant reminders she gets in the form of push notifications on her phone.

Seymour said the notifications can be helpful when they remind her about assignments or tests that may have slipped her mind, but she has to take breaks and remember to step away from it all sometimes.

“Literally, it’s never-ending,” said Seymour. “I just need to put it down.”

Many students habitually check classroom media throughout the day, while some neglect to check them at all.

For the students who make a point to stay on top of classroom media, it can become especially overwhelming, as teachers will often post assignments well after the school day is over.

“I’ve just gotten used to having to check,” said senior Grace Parzych. “It’s something I do subconsciously.”

Parzych said there are seven internet platforms she checks consistently to keep up to date on all of her school work. She also said there are times she will be lying in bed late at night checking all of the websites one last time, just to make sure she didn’t miss anything.

It’s not only students who say technology can be intrusive.

“I think it’s important that we get away from that stuff for a certain amount of time,” said social studies teacher Brad Coulter.

Science teacher Amber Miller said she is also aware of the pressure this constantly-accessible technology can add to students’ lives.

“You’re a kid, so you shouldn’t have to have all these responsibilities,” said Miller. “I think teachers forget that kids do have six other classes.”

Miller also said that, in particular, students’ ability to check their grade on each assignment and compare it to the class average, has both positives and negatives.

“Students need to see how they are in relation to their peers,” said Miller, adding, however, that this can make students increasingly competitive, as well as discourage some of those who don’t match up with class averages.

Freshman Kat Patillo is one of such students who believe that checking her grades so frequently doesn’t actually benefit her.

“It doesn’t motivate me,” said freshman Kat Pattillo. “It just causes stress.”

While this constant connection has its downsides, many students have also acknowledged some important positives to having access to the classroom at all times, such as making learning easier and more personalized.

“I feel like the technology offers a new way to learn about topics and a great way to share information,” said freshman Venn Reddy.

Reddy added that technology makes it easy to instantaneously edit assignments and customize them to your preference.

“Even if you’re away from school, you can turn things in online,” he said.

Some students also felt that the integration of technology gives them more control over their learning, allowing them to be more independent.

“We can rely on ourselves,” said senior Reese Macmillan. “Before a lot of the technology was implemented, you had to be more reliant on teachers.”

Macmillan also said that the online resources make it easier to prepare for tests, and the ability to receive almost immediate feedback online and consistently check his grades keeps him motivated to do his work.

Whether looking at the positives or negatives, it’s impossible to ignore how much technology has become interwoven with education, a fact that leaves many to question whether the added stress is simply something students will have to adapt to.

“I think the tough thing as teachers is our job is to teach you guys most effectively, so it’s hard to lessen the pressure,” said Coulter.