Boys’ Varsity Football Ends Season After Second Round Playoff Exit

Zach Pascuzzi, Staff Writer

The list of records is nothing to simply glaze over.  

Nine wins, tied with last season for the most in Cambridge football history.  

An undefeated record on home turf for just the second time.  

A perfect record in the region for the first time. 

The most points scored in a season in Cambridge history (449). 

And being ranked as high as fourth in their class (5A).  

These things would not have been reflected in the final score of the Bears’ final game, a 37-14 defeat to Cartersville in the second round of the GHSA 5A football playoffs, but no defeat could have taken these things away.  

Senior and defensive tackle Eli Whalen, reflecting on the season, said that he felt more accomplished and prouder of the team than ever before, championship or not.  

“It was our winningest season. We know that we left everything on the field every game,” Whalen said.  

This was the second consecutive season varsity football had advanced to the second round of the postseason. Last year, they beat Creekview in the first round before succumbing to Lee County. This year, they survived a comeback to defeat Jackson 27-20 before being outmatched by Cartersville, ranked second in 5A.  

Now, the lights have dimmed on Whalen’s high school playing days, just as they have for the rest of his senior teammates, like Christian Isibor and Jack Marlow, Cambridge’s electric running back duo whose scoring prowess alone was enough to ignite capacity crowds on Friday nights.  

But Whalen believes the team is in good hands, even if it will miss the experience and talent that its senior athletes provided. 

He singled out junior quarterback Preston Clemmer as a player who had overcome adversity early in the season to become a dominant force by the time Cambridge was gearing up for its playoff run.  

“He plays with a lot of heart. He’s gonna be good for us next season. Cambridge is gonna be good next season, for sure.” 

How does he know that? 

“I just do.”