SkillsUSA and CCA Seek Donations for Christmas Toy Drive

Aidon Higdon, Staff Writer

Sitting around an extravagantly decorated tree, remember the joy you felt unwrapping a new toy when you were little? Maybe it was that Barbie doll you’d been eyeing, or maybe it was a remote-controlled car. 

Unfortunately, many children haven’t shared the same experience and euphoria, and that’s why SkillsUSA and the “Create Change, America!” (CCA) club are collecting Christmas gifts for Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta to redistribute to kids of all ages who need some holiday cheer. 

The drive started on Nov. 29 and ends on Tuesday. There are boxes located throughout the building where students can drop off toys. 

Timothy Hart, the SkillsUSA sponsor, encourages participation and overlooks the event’s operation. Donating toys to children who need them has long been a passion of Hart, who “wants children who don’t get Christmas presents to wake up to something.” 

The president of the CCA and leader of the drive is senior Sareena Lidhar. She got involved with the drive because she wants all children to have the opportunity to have a happy Christmas. 

“I do enjoy it. Giving back is something that means a lot to me,” she said. “These kids sometimes get overlooked, but I want to make them as happy as I can, and this toy drive is a great opportunity to put a lot of smiles on their faces during the holidays.”