Students Learn How to Be a Police Officer in Milton Explorer Program

A bright flashlight and car headlights interrupt the darkness of the night sky, as a driver is questioned for driving under the influence (DUI).

Behind the flashlight is not a police officer, but a high school student.

This student and a number of others are part of The Milton Police Explorers, a program that teaches young people ages 14 to 20 about law and justice. The program was started last year.

The group meets every Wednesday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Milton Police Department, where real police officers train the teens on law enforcement through a variety of methods.

The explorers learn through classroom discussion, physical exercise, ride alongs and scenarios a police officer would encounter on the job. These simulations include DUIs, car-accident investigations, wounded police officers and felony traffic stops.

“We go through scenarios where we act like real police, so we interview people, decide who needs to be arrested and sometimes we work with K-9 or go to a shooting range,” said senior Lauren Bromelow, who has attained the rank of captain in the group.

Bromelow discovered Police Explorers through the school’s Law and Justice program. She began with The Alpharetta Police Explorers and helped start the Milton program.

“The program promotes personal growth through character development, respect for the rule of law, physical fitness, good citizenship and patriotism,” said Milton Police Officer and lead advisor Andrew Noblett. “The training all prepares Explorers for competitions,” he said.

Last month, The Milton Police Explorers participated in Winterfest, a national competition in Gatlinburg, TN. They received first place in felony traffic stops.

“My favorite memory was hearing our name get called for first place,” sophomore and Explorer Christine Lim said with a smile. “We didn’t expect to win. Everyone’s face was priceless; we couldn’t process it. Well, except for Officer Noblett, he literally sprinted up to the stage; I’ve never seen that man run that fast.”

Some students said being in The Milton Police Explorers have helped them find their career pathways.

“I want to join the military,” said Bromelow. “[The Milton Police Explorers] has been a really good experience. Learning these things puts you ahead; it looks good to have experience and training. I think it’s really helped me out in the long run.”

Lim said the program helped her decide she wants to work for the FBI.

Noblett said The Milton Police Explorers program is more than just about law enforcement, however.

The groups take trips together for fun, such as to Six Flags and the Ripley’s Aquarium in Tennessee. They also participate in community service project like Crabapple Fest.

Some members said the program is not only a place to learn, but also a place to build great relationships with other explorers and police officers.

“The best part of explorers is that it becomes like a second family. We all want to do better in our community, and we hold one another accountable,” Lim said.

The group has also rejuvenated the virtues of police officers involved like Noblett.

“Establishing the Milton Police Explorers Post has been one of the most rewarding things in my 10-year law enforcement career,” said Noblett. “The kids of today will be our leaders of tomorrow, and mentoring them is very enjoyable. It hasn’t always been easy, but certainly well worth it.”

Bromelow strongly encourages other teens to join The Milton Police Explorers.

“Anyone can join,” she said. “You don’t need to have aspirations to go into law enforcement or education on the subject. It’s a good experience; you learn about underrated police officers. You can’t get it anywhere else.”